Analog Inputs on maxArcade USB/HID Joystick x2

Just starting out with KADE? Come here first.
twistedsymphony
poster

Analog Inputs on maxArcade USB/HID Joystick x2

Post by twistedsymphony » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:06 am

I recently picked up an at90usb646 and flashed with maxArcade USB/HID Joystick x2 which seems to be perfect for my needs (8x analog inputs across 2 players) but I have a few questions regarding the pins.

The flash seemed to work great and windows is recognizing the device as a game pad but I'm unclear on the pinout.

The documentation in KADE Loader shows pins D00 through D36 and A00 through A07 but the numbers on the device don't seem to match up. there are ports A-F each with 8 pins.

Also I'm curious about how to wire analog inputs, I see an "Aref" pin but I'm unclear of the purpose. I'm not hooking this up to pots but rather a separate deice that provides a 0-5V analog signal. it also has a few logic level outputs outputting either 0 or 5V.

I'm assuming I'll have to tie the grounds together but I'm not clear if I should be utilizing that Aref pin or simply running ground from other other board to the ground plane of the at90usb646.

PL1
poster

Re: Analog Inputs on maxArcade USB/HID Joystick x2

Post by PL1 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:39 am

Took me a few hours to chase all the traces, but here's a pinout based on the MattairTech at90usb646 board. (Please let me know if you find any errors.)
maxArcade pinout.pdf
(31.29 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Normally for potentiometers, you wire tab 2 (wiper) to the analog input and tabs 1 and 3 to Vcc (5v) and ground -- If an axis is backward, swap tabs 1 and 3.

In your case, connect the variable voltage (0-5v) to the analog axis input and, as you mentioned, you will probably need to connect grounds between the other board and the at90usb646.

You won't be using Aref since that is intended as an external reference voltage input -- maxArcade uses an internal (5v) reference.

Scott
EDIT: Updated pinout to cover all three firmwares and fixed minor formatting discrepancies.

twistedsymphony
poster

Re: Analog Inputs on maxArcade USB/HID Joystick x2

Post by twistedsymphony » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:06 pm

awesome, thank you :)

I must say, so far this is quickly becoming my favorite arcade encoder. :D